Monday, June 24, 2013

Teriyaki Beef and Broccolini




The longer I cook, the more I realize that good food is not the result of fancy ingredients - although they can help. Rather, good food is the result of someone who has a full command of the basics, and uses them wisely.
Don't get me wrong - I'm still on a steep learning curve when it comes to food, cooking, and domestic life in general. However, the more knowledgeable I become about food, the less pressured I feel to buy the newest, neatest gadget or gismo, and the more compelled I feel to learn how to use my paring knife in ten different ways.

Today I found out late in the day that Forrest would be home for dinner and my first thought was "Uh... I didn't grocery shop for you this week. Crap!" Since he's been working overtime the last few months, his company has provided the guys dinner - leaving me to try whatever the heck I wanted in my cooking lab without fear of someone else being hungry and therefor cranky.
So, when I realized he'd be home, I took a quick stock of what I had and compared it to what he will eat. Some broccolini (similar to broccoli), frozen stewing beef, and leftover teriyaki sauce from sushi night. BAM!!! That was my answer! Knowing how to use my basics allowed me to whip up a dinner to rival any restaurants version of this dish. The pictures aren't great because I snapped them 2 seconds before I ate it, so I wasn't in the mood to fuss with details.

Hope you enjoy!!


Ingredients:

1 lb beef, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup teriyaki sauce, divided
1/2 onion, diced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoon corn starch

Directions:

Marinate beef slices in 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce - max of overnight, minimum of 30 mins.

Heat oil in large pan on medium high. Add beef/marinade and cook about 5 mins, or until meat is browned. Add onions, remaining 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, stir, cook about 5 mins. While meat is cooking, mix soy sauce and corn starch.

After the initial 10 mins or so (may be less, depending on how thin your meat is), add broccoli florets, and corn/soy mix. Be sure to stir your mix right before adding it, as the corn starch will sink a bit.

Stir well, and cover to steam broccoli for about 2 mins.

Remove from heat, stir, and allow to stand for a few minutes until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.

Serve with rice, steamed veggies, or your favorite asian noodles.

Serves about 4-6 (depending on how hungry they are)






No comments:

Post a Comment