Monday, June 3, 2013

Anytime Steak

Although it's getting to be summer time, we've enjoyed this simple and delicious meal year round. Steaks are traditionally grilled, but thanks for the man I love and a good cookbook, we've perfected the stovetop searing method.



This was inspired by my private cooking teacher, Tim Ferris, via his book "The Four Hour Chef". If you don't own it, and you love food and want to become a ninja in the kitchen, I suggest you buy it. And oh - how I wish he'd pay me to say that. Sadly, I think the self proclaimed rich playboy-ish, PeterPan-esque boy realizes he doesn't have to - his books sells itself. Why? Because they're all amazing.



Like good books, good steaks tends to sell themselves. While there are processes to tenderize less than amazing cuts of beef, I've decided I would rather just bite the bullet and drop a little extra money on a good cut. In this, I used a beef tenderloin (yes, expensive) cut from Sam's Club. I have yet to find a decent place that sells grass-fed that tastes remotely worth the small fortune I'd have to pay for it. Sam's club thus became the winner.





This is better than most steaks I've had in restaurants - and since being married to a Carnivore for the past year, I've tried a lot of different steak places. If this is your first time making steak at home, especially if you're nervous about pan frying it, BUY THE EXPENSIVE STUFF! Don't skimp and get something tough that you'll end up not liking because it will turn you off of cooking steaks at home in the future. I have found it's far less expensive to buy steaks at the store, and cook them at home than it is to go out to eat. Do the math, weigh your choices, and draw a line. As Tim would say - if it's gross or your screw it up, toss it out and count it as an inexpensive cooking lesson.



Ingredients:

1-2 Steaks (beef tenderloin) 1.5"-2" thick

1 clove garlic
3-4 springs rosemary or thyme (pick your favorite)
1 T Olive Oil or Ghee/Clarified Butter*
Salt and Pepper

*What I used.

Directions:

Heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet to high - I mean HOT! ***ALSO*** turn your oven on to 400ยบ and get a baking dish/cookie sheet out and lined.

Pat steak dry, slice garlic cloves in half, and rub steaks with the cut side of the clove. Salt and peper as desired.



Add olive oil or Ghee to the pan, swirl to coat evenly, and gently place steaks into pan and scream and flail arms as the smoke fills the room. Ideally - turn the exhaust on before this - there is no way to avoid the smoke, but mmmmmmm it's so worth it. Sear those suckers well!

Sear both sides of the steak for two minutes, and using tongs, sear the edges too. Place steaks on the cookie sheet.



Place rosemary/thyme in the pan, push around a bit, then put them on top of the steaks.

Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 10-20 minutes depending on how well done you'd like your steaks. Mine were in about 10 because I like medium rare, as pictured. If you like them different, refer to this chart and use a meat thermometer to check them.

Presto - amazing steak. Top with some Ghee for an extra pop of flavor, and salt and pepper to your hearts content. Served here with Garlic Roasted Cauliflower (coming soon).







1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your grandpa's method, too!! He swears by the screamin' hot cast iron pan for steaks.

    ReplyDelete