Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Salsa y Guacamole

Por los personas que no saben, yo servir una mision en sur de California, donde que yo aprende Espanol. (For the people who do not know, I served a mission in Southern California, where I learned Spanish.) Also, I lived in Tucson, Arizona until I was 13 years old. As a result of both, I have a cultivated taste for authentic mexican food cooked by loving mothers, caring sisters, and daring fathers who braved many a hot grills. Really, most mexican food is about love. And if you haven't guessed it yet, I love food.


This version of salsa and guacamole came into existence in my kitchen because I had left over avocado slices from Sushi night (pictures coming soon), thanks to Ms. Megan who brought them. As I thought back to how my mom made guacamole  I remembered that she made salsa, left a little in the food processor, and then added rich green avocado's and her magical 'mom love'.



Also, I've been wondering how well avocado's and guacamole will freeze - thus this is part "I can't just throw these avocado's away!" and part "Hmmm... let's see if this works." If it does, Megan will get getting some homemade guacamole (fresh) from me in the future as a thanks for providing me the supplies to experiment.

Experiment: how well does guacamole freeze?
Hypothesis: Mediocre
Variables: Guac in freezer verses my memory of the guac I'm eating now.
Results: TBD


 Salsa Ingredients: 
2 Large Beefsteak tomatoes OR 4 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered
1/2 medium onion, cut into chunks
~1/3 cup fresh Cilantro
2 cloves garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic salt)
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 - 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce*
Juice from one lemon/lime (I used lime)
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

S/P to taste

*start slow and ramp up your spice. Start with 1/4 teaspoon for the timid mouth - go crazy if you love pain. Also - you can use 1/2 to 1 whole JalapeƱo. I don't like fussing with them needlessly, so I use Sriracha from the bottle.

Directions:
Pulse onion and garlic in food processor (or blender) for 10-15 pulses, or until onion is well diced. Add remaining ingredients and blend/pulse until salsa reaches desired consistency. Taste - add salt, pepper, or more spice to taste.





Now it's time for your guacamole....



 Ingredients/Directions: 
1/2 cup salsa (as above)
2 large avocado's, seeded, peeled

Add avocado's and salsa to the blender. Turn on low or pulse until desired consistency is reached. Pull out the chips, grab some chairs, your favorite drink, and head out to the porch to swapp stories of last summer while eating this super easy, ultra tasty, incredible salsa and guacamole. 



The wonderful thing about these recipes (and really most everything on this site) is that it's not an exact science. These, like many other recipes can be used a platform for your own ideas, modifications, or alterations. So add some flare and toss in something crazy and try it out. The good thing about trying out different foods is that you never need to repeat it if you hate it - and you'll never know if you hate something until you try it!

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are so FANTASTIC! When I make the guac I usually add a little more salt and lime juice, to taste.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I add a bit of red wine vinegar and sugar along with the lime juice when I make the salsa. That is the 'love' I add, I guess...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane I love your salsa! I am so glad Susan posted the recipe. I'll defintely be making some -Maru

    ReplyDelete