Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Seared Tuna

Seared ahi tuna with Pomegranate Lime Virgin Cocktail

Tonight was a huge win! While the win wasn't quite the 'fish and loaves' scale Biblical miracle, it was a success at our house. I was able to get a staunch non-fish eater to try tuna steaks! Woot woot!!




Since starting to work with a group of people to love fish, I realized how infrequently I had eaten it since getting married last year. The Mr. doesn't like it, and I don't like cooking two meals, so I called it even and didn't really cook it unless I was flying solo for a night. Anyway, after talking about it for days, I realized he never had fish without huge amounts of over powering sauce or breading. That gave me a perfect segway into explaining how I would cook it perfectly, use moderate seasoning, and blow his mind with it. Well ladies and gents - mission accomplished! Not only did he love it, but said he'd be up for it again.


Traditionally, tuna steaks are seared and sliced for presentation, which is beautiful. However, that was a stretch too far for tonight, so you'll see his cooked through, and mine seared. I tried his, and it wasn't bad  - just different. I served it with Pomegranate Lime Virgin Cocktails which carried a very distinct taste to compliment the subtle tuna flavor. 
  


Ingredients:

2 tuna steaks (sashimi grade if you can find it), thawed
1 garlic clove, halved
Montreal Seasoning

Lemon for serving

Directions:

Heat cast iron skillet or nonstick pan on medium high. Meanwhile, pat tuna steaks dry, rub gently with the cut side of the garlic, and dust with Montreal Seasoning.

Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray just before placing the steaks in. To cook all the way through, cook 2-3 minutes on eat side, flipping once. To sear, cook 30-40 seconds on each side (yup - it's fast!).

Serve with your favorite side, and top with avocado slices if you're feeling adventurous! Serve with lemon slices for those who want to spritz theirs just before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment