Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pastrami Sandwich with Swiss and Caramelized Onions


So this is pretty much amazing. Like I've mentioned before regarding French Onion Soup, something magical happens when caramelized onions and Swiss cheese get together. It's not quite a Jane Austen romance novel type of magical, it's more like the Cinderella's pumpkin turning into a magnificent carriage to transport a beautiful woman to a ball type of magical. 

Depending on what else swiss and caramelized onions are paired with, the flavors that are highlighted are different. In this sandwich, there is almost a sweet, nutty and earthy flavor that is brought out. Pair that with the salty, smokey, and peppery taste of the pastrami, this sandwich becomes an instant favorite. 


The pastrami I used here was from Trader Joes. I will say that although I really liked it, I haven't had tons of other pastrami to compare it to. Also, I used sourdough bread as I abhor rye bread which apparently is the more popular for this kind of thing. 



Ingredients: 

Sliced/shaved pastrami 
Sliced Swiss cheese 
Caramelized onions (about 1/4-1/2 onion per person should be good, FYI) 
Dijon and/or honey mustard
Sliced bread, any type, but something more substantial is better. Sourdough, rye, ciabatta, etc. 

Directions: 

Spread desired amount of mustard on two slices of bread. Layer on pastrami, cheese, the onions, and top with second slice of bread. I find it works best with the cheese in the middle. 

Grill if desired, but it can be served cold too. 

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment