Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Grilled Salmon with Sweet Ginger Glaze


I found out shortly after eating this that I was allergic to asparagus. Thus, picture two is served with Brussels sprouts. 

I've toyed with this recipe for some time. I never really liked the concept of marinating fish, but I didn't like it plain either. So I played with the concept of short marinade times, but it always seemed like all the flavor just slid off once I cooked the fish. I was bored with lemon on salmon, but was craving fish all the same. So after an impromptu social media survey I took several of the ideas and combined them into this creation.

The whole idea behind a glaze is letting the fish cook for a bit, then slathering it with tantalizing flavors.

This will form a glazed coating around the fish that doesn't burn while you're trying to let your fish finish cooking.

 So when all is said and done, you have perfectly cooked fish sealed in a flavored coating that makes your mouth water looking at it. It's featured here with broiled asparagus and a Brussels sprouts side, respectively.

Served here with a Broiled Brussels side.  The pictures don't do justice to either dish! 

4 salmon fillets - ready to cook (deboned, defrosted... whatever applies to the situation)

Glaze:
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 Tablespoons sweet soy glaze, or soy sauce
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Grill fish for 2 minutes then flip. Brush the already grilled side with glaze - cook an additional two minutes. Flip and glaze the other side and finish cooking. If desired, make and heat another batch of the glaze on medium high until bubbles start to form. Serve on the side for dipping.

I did this on a FormanGrill - so I grilled it for two minutes, then glazed the whole thing, and cooked an additional 2-3 minutes until firm. Fish will continue to cook once taken off the heat, so don't freak out if it's still a little undone when you check it coming off the grill.

Serve with veggies or rice.


Short hand - sear fish on grill - brush with glaze for the last two minutes of cooking. Serve hot. Duh.















No comments:

Post a Comment