Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Spinach and Goat Cheese Stuffed Mushroom



Mmmmmm. My husband does not like mushrooms. I however, love them. Out of respect for him, I have hardly cook with them since we've gotten married. Then I started realizing, "I make him a PB&J every day for lunch - heck I can make myself anything I want! Including the stuff he hates!" So while grocery shopping the other day, I saw two of the most beautiful portobello mushrooms I have seen in quite sometime. While at the time I didn't know what I'd do with them, I knew they were coming home with me.


As I took them out of the bag and then the wrapping I could feel the soft, silky surface and spongy resistance. I could smell the cool earthy scent that all mushrooms have which reminds me of cool summer evenings. I forgot how much I missed mushrooms, and I was glad to have them back in my life! 

For those of you who aren't familiar with working with fresh mushrooms, I'll eventually post something under my 'Tips and Tricks" about proper care and cleaning. For now, just know that you should never rinse then under water (they absorbe water, turn soggy and gross). Rather wipe them thoroughly with a damp paper towel, and push the stem with your thumb to 'pop' it out. Scrape the underside with a spoon if desired.


Cleaned mushroom, ready for stuffing!
Ingredients: 

2 portobello mushroom caps, cleaned 

4 oz goat cheese
2 cloves roasted garlic
1/4 cup diced sun dried tomatoes
2 T pesto
1/3 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
Pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven on broil. (Yes, you are going to broil these suckers). Clean mushroom caps and set top side down on greased baking sheet. I personally drizzle olive oil onto the baking sheet, then put the mushrooms directly onto the oil. 

Mix (mash really) all the filling ingredients together.


This is half the mixture - I had already stuffed one before I took this. 
Divide mixture between the two caps, and place on the preheated oven, middle rack. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until mixture has turned a golden brown and mushroom edges have blackened slightly. Mushrooms generally turn very dark when cooked, so don't worry, it won't taste burned. 

Mixture should be heated all the way through, and the mushroom should be soft and warm when cut into. 

Freshly broiled, hot and ready, flavor packed stuffed mushroom. 


If serving as a main dish, it goes well with rice, steamed zucchini, or salad. It also goes great as a side for steak or chicken.



Cliff-notes Version: 

Mix spinach, goat cheese, garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and pesto. Divide on mushrooms, broil (middle rack) for 15 mins. Serve hot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment