Thursday, February 28, 2013

Blue Cheese Bread Pudding


This. Is. Epic.

Especially if you like blue cheese.

I LOVE these things. It might be because I love blue cheese, with it's sharp, distinct flavor and creamy texture, ribboned with salty ribbons of color.....Hmm, oh you're still here? Sorry about drifting off into cheese heaven. Honestly, this is just a fantastic recipe and super simple.

I made this for the first time in Texas when a girlfriend was coming over for dinner. I followed it perfectly the first time, but when I made it last week, I tweaked it a little.

Here is the video and recipe for the original dish by Chef John. He has a ton of other great recipes too!

Here is what I did to it :) I hope you enjoy!



Ingredients:

1 Tbsp Butter

4-5 cups cubed bread, dried over night or in the oven (You want these suckers DRY! I'm talking rock solid. They'll need to absorb all the wonderful flavor you're going to add. Use 4 cups if you like a dense pudding, 5 if you want something a little dryer. I opt for the dryer batch.)

1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 cup scallions, diced
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

1/3-1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles

Sliced scallions and blue cheese for garnish.


Directions:

Preheat Oven - 400º

Grease cupcake pan, or ramekins with butter.

Place bread cubes in a large bowl, set aside.


Saute onions, salt and butter.

Add everything else EXCEPT THE BLUE CHEESE!!! and heat til steaming (don't boil).

Pour broth mixture over bread cubes, and stir until all the liquid is absorbed.

Sprinkle blue cheese over bread cube mix, stir gentle.

Divide mixture into cupcake tins. Garnish with a few crumbs blue cheese.

Bake at 400º for 20-25 minutes. Top with slices of scallions.

Serve HOT!!

Serves 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment