Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lemony Lentil Soup




A word about lentils 
They are amazing. A superfood really. They're high in fiber and protein, and have been around forever.  I was on an eating regimen last summer to see if I could regulate my blood sugar, and lentils were a  saving grace. I found you could use them a ton of different ways, but my favorite was this Lemony Lentil Soup that my mom made for me while she was visiting me one weekend. Not only was it home cooked by mom, but it's savory and tangy flavor hits the spot and is very filling. I almost always double the recipe 


Lemony Lentil Soup 

1 15oz can of lentils* ( I used Eden Organics Onion and Bay leaf. If you want to cook your own lentils, see my note below.)
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 cups chicken, beef, or veggie stock (whichever you like best. I used beef)
1/2 cup cilantro** 
1/8-1/4 cup lemon juice. I use lots. 

If you're feeling healthy - 2 handfulls of baby spinach. 


In a medium pot, saute onions in olive oil. 

 Add stock, 1/2 can of lentils, and cilantro. Mash the remaining lentils in the can and add to soup. (I do this by taking a spoon and doing it right inside the can. You can also opt to put all the lentils in the pot, and use an immersion blender to blend it slightly. The mashed lentils add body and texture to the soup.)

Simmer on low for 10 mins. 

Add the lemon juice. (I taste it frequently at this point. If you're serving this for a group, I suggest adding a minimun amount, and placing a small dish of lemon juice on the table for guests to flavor as desired.)

Toss in the baby spinach if desired, stir and serve. Keeps for up to a week.

Serves 4


So, the picutre I took was HORRIBLE!!! Thus, a quick google image search revealed this one, and it's pretty much identical. Her recipe is here. I claim no rights to the picture.

*Whenever I cook lentils I can't get the flavoring right with the bay leaf, and they almost always turn into mush. So I opt for simple, and splurge on the canned ones. If you like a soup with more broth than lentils, use the original recipe. If you like really thick soups, add one can whole lentils, and mash a second can, and don't add any extra broth. Both ways are great!

No comments:

Post a Comment